Monday, August 23, 2010

Tonights post brought to you by...Budweiser Tallboys and Marlboro Lights

So I used to have a tumblr (www.mdflanagan.tumblr.com) but it didn't work out so well, so here is my second attempt at this blog thing. I'm attempting to give a little bit of background to my posts so far, since all of them have kind of a special meaning to me. The first story, "Heaven Bound and Glory Be", has a title legitimately stolen from Kevin Devine who rules, but it was inspired by both my grandmother's death and the song "Pints of Guinness Make You Strong" by Against Me!. It's the first short story I ever wrote and means a lot to me on many different levels.
    The second post " Boogie Brains Band Biography...That's a lot of B's" is about a really cool band that a few of my friends are in, who are definitley worth checking out (www.myspace.com/boogiebrains). They have a very original sound, and I'm totally thankful to them for giving me the opportunity to write their bio for them.
    The most recent post "Concord" is named after a diner in Valley Stream that I happen to frequent, but has a number of influences of mine involved in it. The most important of these would be The Gaslight Anthem (www.gaslightanthem.com). Aside from being my favorite band of the moment, lyrically I have never felt closer to a band in all my life (more on that later). This particular story is inspired by their song "Great Expectations", most obviously the diner part.
    I'm a bit drunk so I'll leave it here for now, but I will leave you with a few songs and websites that are most assuredly worth checking out.


www.myspace.com/boogiebrains ....check out the songs "Vanity" and "Get Along"...I'm not too sure how to describe them, but they rule.
The Gaslight Anthem- specifically "Great Expectations" and "Id'a Called you Woody, Joe" but really anything this band has recorded ever is amazing.
Against Me! "Pints of Guinness Make you Strong" and "Tonight we're gonna give it 35%"

No comments:

Post a Comment